Mother Severely Injured After Mistaking Dynamite Stick For Candle

A Connecticut woman was severely injured after a stick of dynamite she believed was a candle exploded in her hand. The incident happened back in September after a thunderstorm knocked out power at her family's home. Katrina Gutierrez went into the basement, trying to find some candles so her family could have some light until the power was restored. While in the cellar, she grabbed what she thought was a candle and lit the wick.

Unfortunately, she did not find a candle rather she lit the fuse of a stick of TNT that was left behind by the home's previous owner. The dynamite exploded while she was still holding it, causing her to suffer severe injuries to her hands, arm, chest and eyes. She was rushed to the hospital and is still undergoing medical procedures as she recovers from the horrific injuries. Her husband and two young children were unharmed by the explosion.

Now, Gutierrez is suing the former homeowner for leaving the TNT behind when they moved out.

“This is a terrible tragedy to happen to this family,” Gutierrez’s lawyer, Paul Ganim told the CT Post. “We are thankful, although the mother was tragically injured, that the young children were not physically injured. I am committed to pursuing all legal actions to adequately compensate this family for their horrible loss.”

“Mrs. Gutierrez’s injuries and losses were directly caused by the willful, wanton and reckless conduct of the defendant in that he knew of the existence of the explosive device but failed to remove it from the basement when he sold the property in deliberate disregard for the safety of the plaintiffs,” the suit stated.

Photo: Getty Images

title

Content Goes Here