The first trailer for the movie version of"Cats"came out yesterday, with TAYLOR SWIFT, Jennifer Hudson, Rebel Wilson, Idris Elba, Jason Derulo, James Corden, and Judi Dench. And the Internet DEFINITELY took notice.
Some people thought it looked awesome . . . others were so distracted by the skin-tight cat fur CGI that they didn't know what to think . . . and others outright ROASTED it.
In fact,billboard.com has a list of the 10 funniest reactions. Here are a few:
1. For starters, there's this pseudo-sexual imageof Taylor Swift in a cat costume, which is so hard to reconcile, that it's almost impossible to look away. One fan said, quote, "[This] is the most Taylor Swift thing ever."
2. "'Where were you when the'Cats'trailer dropped?' will be the JFK assassination of this generation."
3. "Folks, if you think the'Cats'trailer is a nightmare, you probably shouldn't look up what the actual musical is like."
4. "The'Cats'trailer clearly loves itself and doesn't give [an eff] if you're on its wavelength. Weirdly, it's very much like a real cat."
5. "'YouNeed to Calm Down'was about the'Cats'trailer. Taylor is always one step ahead."
Here are a few more:
1. "Dida dog make this?"
2. "Ifit didn't look like hideous camp garbage, it wouldn't be'Cats'."
3. "Taylor Swiftas a cat. The role she was literally born to play."
And, quote, "Technologyhas only evolved so one day Taylor Swift could become an actual cat."
In any event, the trailer doesn't make a lot of sense, but that isn't a big surprise, since the musical itself doesn't really make a lick of sense. It's just about a bunch of cats running around, trying to decide which one of them is worthy of being reborn.
"Cats" is in theaters December 20th . . . the same day as"Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker", which means it COULD be set up to be a colossal failure.