Summer means sunburns … We don’t need to preach the importance of sun block to you, do we? You already know that the more sunburns you get over time, the more likely you are to have skin cancer one day … and the more likely you are to spend your precious summer months in pain. Here are a few little-known remedies that’ll help you take the sting out of the burn if aloe isn’t cutting it.
- Shaving cream – The menthol helps cool the burn.
- Oatmeal – Stuff an old sock with oats, soak and hold against your burn during a cool bath. The oats take away the inflammation.
- Tomatoes – Either eat a whole bunch or soak in the juices to soothe your skin.
- Yogurt – Lather it onto the skin, leave for 10 minutes and let the probiotics work their magic to help repair the skin’s natural barrier.
- Baking soda – Toss a handful into cool bathwater and soak for 20 minutes to soothe inflammation.
- Apple cider vinegar – Mix with cold water on a 1:1 ratio and soak it up in a towel to draw out the sting.
- Pomegranate seeds – Munch on this tasty, antioxidant-filled snack to keep the skin from burning.
- Potatoes – Potatoes to the skin is like cucumbers to the eyes. The starchy consistency helps absorb the sting.
Photo: Getty Images